Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Extra Credit: Mathias Svalina

This past Tuesday, on April 22nd, Mathias Svalina had a reading where he read some of his published or soon to be published poems. This first poem he read I found to be interesting. His first piece was titled "Why I am White." I found just the title very intriguing.  But I decided to pick my quote from his second book he read from. This book was one collection of lot of poems all titled "Creation Myth."  I chose a line from his second poem he read from this collection.

"In the beginning there was a pen, that drew itself."

I chose this quote because it made me think about the creation myth of how everything started. What was first? Well I guess it all really depends on what you believe in. There is a huge difference in how you would view this statement if you believed in God or if you believed in the big bang theory. This could be viewed however you want it to be. But this sentence just really stuck out to me. Mathias Svalina then started listing off all the things that the pen had drawn. But in the end the pen had realized that it had run out of ink. It thought back to the beginning and wished it would of drawn another pen or ink. Another reason why I chose this quote is because of what one of my friends said to me today at supper. She came up to me and told me that she had a dream about a pen going mad. She dreamt that the pen was freaking out and drawing everything all around. This one poem had enough affect on her to get into her dreams and kind of in a weird way too.  

No comments: